There is a growing interest and increased research that is showcasing the positive impact and importance of intergenerational programming. Research suggests that intentional engagement in high-quality intergenerational programs and meaningful relationships decreases social isolation and increases a sense of belonging, self-esteem and well- being for both seniors and youth.
IG (Intergenerational) programs are so much more than “nice to have” programs!
We see firsthand the positive difference that longer term Intergenerational programs have:
- Skipping a generation removes power dynamics and the two age groups can meet and learn as equals.
- Programs can be adapted to any age, mobility, location, budget, time available.
- Youth self-confidence and interpersonal skills improve.
- Seniors report a renewed sense of purpose and value, and decreased depression and loneliness.
- Youth report increased likelihood to volunteer in the future.
- Seniors become a voice of encouragement and celebration in the lives of youth.
- Both youth and seniors report increased feelings of belonging to their community.
- The next generation of decision makers grow up age-friendly, dementia aware, compassionate and motivated!
So… Why IG?
- It’s Impactful
- It’s Adaptable
- It’s Cost effective
- It’s Preventive
- IG makes communities stronger, one intergenerational friendship at a time!